Fire Destroys Animal Shelter
Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 10:43 PM ET
(KYW) A fire destroyed a Chester County animal shelter
early Sunday morning, killing at least one animal and
injuring several others.
The fire started around 7 a.m. Sunday at the Namcha
Home for Wayward Animals in Elverson. Investigators
say the shelter went up in flames when materials
placed too close to a propane heater caught on fire.
Sharon McCaffrey, who runs the shelter, says the
facility was home to eight dogs and 30 cats.
McCaffrey says the facility was a non-profit, no-kill
shelter, where she rescued animals and provided
medical care. Eventually, the animals which would
otherwise have been put to sleep, would find homes,
While the building was burning out of control, one of
the first things firefighters did when they realized
animals were inside the structure was to cut holes
through several fences to let the dogs and cats free.
One cat died, several had their fur singed and one dog
had serious burns.
McCaffey says the fire destroyed everything, including
supplies, food and medicine.
If you would like to help the Namcha Home for Wayward
Animals, you can call 610-286-9630.